Hi, I’m Gwen.
☺ STORY-TELLER • GAP-FILLER • DOT-CONNECTOR
☀ WRITING • MARKETING • COMMUNITY BUILDING
❤ SOCIAL IMPACT • TECH ECOSYSTEM • TRAINING & DEVELOPMENT
I Blog Because…
Ever since I could remember, I was a writer.
English was my favorite subject in school. Essays were a blank canvas for my imagination.
Examinations were uninterrupted blocks of creative flow.
My teachers loved me; told me I had a bright future in journalism – because that was the only feasible career path for writers.
Needless to say, I believed them.
• • •
So there I was in an American Degree Transfer Program, studying to be a journalist.
I was growing jaded with writing about other people. I wanted to be out there doing things, too.
And then I came to this realization:
It was a timely one.
With the help of a few clubs and good ole Internet research, I broke out of my shell.
Attended events. Joined organizations. Met people. Talked to them.
Changed my mindset. Changed my life.
• • •
My love for words has manifested in different ways over the years:
To champion the causes I care about…
To raise awareness about worthwhile events…
To pay homage to and learn from the best…
To participate in mind-blowing experiences…
To build movements that defy tradition and challenge norms…
… And to share my insights on this blog throughout. 🙂
I’m Defined By…
- Trying to try everything at least once. “Curiosity” is my #1 Gallup strength.
- “Having shining eyes around me” as my personal benchmark for success.
- Seeking adventure in everyday life. Serendipity is my middle name.
- Finding immense joy in art, dance, and spoken word poetry.
- Laughing at everything. “Humor” is 3rd on that Gallup list. #nojoke
- Having memorized the entire Cards Against Humanity deck.
- Appropriating karaoke as a lifestyle. I have no shame.
- (Magically) knowing the lyrics to every pop song post-90’s.
- Believing in the infinite potential of every human being I meet.
- This quote:
“Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.” ― David McCullough Jr.
I Believe In…
❤ Creating a safe haven for Asian “millennial misfits”, so no one has to suffer alone in silence ever again.
❤ Bringing people alive and together through conversation, connection, vulnerability and authenticity.
❤ Building transformative experiences that expand young people’s consciousness of the world.
❤ Crafting a life that I can be proud of – one that is deliberate, mindful, inspirational and kind.
Through all this, I want to touch the lives of 30 million people by the time I’m 30.
To borrow the wisdom of a well-loved poet:
“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate; to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson